For Love Of Rory (Harlequin Historical)

For Love Of Rory (Harlequin Historical) - Barbara Leigh Disclaimer: This review has re-action gifs.

My over-all reaction to this novel:

image

This book is so stupid. I feel like my IQ dropped a few points. I thought it was gonna be so bad it's good, but this one was so bad it's bad. I don't expect it to be that historically accurate, but the writer interchanges Viking and ancient Celtic culture, though similar is different. Celts did not worship Odin/Wodin, nor did they use Runes. The Druids did use the Ogham Alphabet for divinatory reasons. There was also no Druids in this story. I know this was published in 1994, before the internet was popular, but come on. I hate being so nit-picky on this issue, but it kept jarring me out of the story. ((Please also correct me if I am wrong about the Celtic and Viking facts)). Viking =/= Celtic.

image

The heroine, Serine. She was so basic. She was selfish, dumb, and completely privileged and unaware of that fact. I did not care about her or her problems one bit. I means she was honestly surprised that the poor serfs didn't want to go back to England. There was also this stupid pointless dramz~~~ with Rory that made me roll my eyes.

image

I didn't get the appeal of Rory. I'm trying to sum up his character, and I'm drawing a blank.

image

Actually, Castiel is too fierce and amazing to be compared to Rory./fangirl

Then again I couldn't understand the appeal of Serine either. I have a confession, when I read romance novels I judge the heroine on rather I would date and/or sleep with her. Serine doesn't make either cut sry2say. /too gay to function + bitch.

Intelligence = sexy.

image

Everyone in this book was just stupid, and waay too forgiving. I was like um....No. Also Serine's son was barely in the novel, and was only pretty much mentioned. He was part of a pivotal plot point and he was barely in the novel. Eeegads.

image

Etheyl was the best part of the novel. She was a badass, at least in the novel. She doesn't make my top fave characters in the world list.

image

So does anyone want to exchange this novel for an equally bad book? Any other masochists? If not this is going to the used book store.

Oh, just for fun. Feel free to post reaction!gifs and memes in comments if you want to comment. :D